Friday, February 21, 2014

Beautifully Flawed

My dear, sweet friend Teri died Wednesday night. I had planned on visiting her Thursday but it wasn't meant to be. Instead I spent the day with Diana, Chuck and Eric. Teri's sister Janet made it to Kirksville and we got started on Teri's obituary. I assigned myself the task of finding Teri's last lecture slides and her vita.  Lynae and I also took Diana shopping to buy a special outfit to wear for the memorial service.

I learned so many things on Thursday. The sound of children finding out their mom is gone is a sound I never want to hear again. If you choose to not have a funeral, you still need a funeral home to help get your obituary in the newspaper. If you choose to donate your body to science for research, you have to find a place willing to take your body. Having things in order including your home makes it easy for friends to come sit shiva with your family. We are never ready to lose someone we love.

Teri, like us all was beautifully flawed. She was flawed in that cancer wreaked havoc on her body but not her beautiful spirit and soul. Flawed in that she had to leave much sooner that she would have chosen and beautiful in the way she chose to live her life even before her initial diagnosis of cancer.

Godspeed Teri. You are already missed.

No comments: