Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Life is so

unpredictable. So very unpredictable. There was a movie that Steve Martin did in the early 90's called Parenthood. Anyone see/remember this movie? His character likes things just so. He likes to know what is going to happen next and he realizes during this movie that life just doesn't work that way. His wife or maybe his grandmother(can't remember I need to watch the movie again) says that the fun and the joy in life is in the unpredictable. Just being and doing and going along for the ride.

I'm not sure where on that continuum I fall. Do I like things just so, or do I enjoy the ride? Honestly, for me the ride has been really great and really not so great. The thrill of getting on different rides and knowing that there are different rides to chose from is often what keeps me going.

I have always thought the movie wanted us to agree with the wife and not Steve Martin. He's worried about his son who likes to wear a bucket on his head and run into things. He's also worried about his wife being pregnant and how he's going to support his growing family. The wife is living in the moment enjoying the creativity and uniqueness of the bucket-wearing son and basking in the glow of her pregnancy. She seems so stress free and he seems so up-tight.

Do you think about enjoying the ride? Do you worry about the curve in the road and what's around the corner?

1 comment:

Jen said...

I think about enjoying the ride. But I think I am a lot more uptight than I would care to admit. I loved his wife in that movie (his grandmother said it before they went to the school play), but I think I am too much like Steve Martin.

My dad and I love that movie-- he says it's true. No matter how old your kids get, you love them and worry about them. And I can see from my parents that this is true.

Great!