Friday, August 17, 2007

Keeping my mouth shut

It's easier that way and it keeps you out of trouble. Except, when the person that told you something in confidence then tells someone else and the "story" gets out. I have had this happen 2 times in recent history and I know that it wasn't me that repeated the "story". It wasn't me. If there is one thing I am it is loyal and if I tell you I won't repeat it, I won't. End. of. discussion.

I have put a lot of time and careful thought about what it means to keep a confidence. Keeping a confidence is part of my professional job. A big part. It is also a part of my daily life and one that I take seriously. It amazes me to listen to people repeat hurtful things about others. It's amazing because they are often said in such a way that it doesn't really matter if the discussion is hurtful or not it's just exciting/fun/makesmefeelimportant/I don't know why else and it's going to be repeated.

I am again vowing to keep my mouth shut(I know I did and I know it wasn't me that spread the gossip). I am also going to start leaving when people start the whole "did you hear" conversation. That way, ignorance and knowing that I REALLY KEPT MY MOUTH SHUT can be my bliss.

No comments: