Thursday, May 29, 2008

My Mom

My mom retired yesterday. She has taught for 44 years.

44 years. That simply amazes me.

What is even more amazing, she wasn't really ready to retire. She said she really wanted to go one more year. You see, she still loves going to work/school/her job everyday. Still. loves. it. everyday.

Most people don't even like their job/career. My mom loves hers and was always excited to go.

My sisters and I are having a party for my mom in June. She initally wasn't sure about having a party but I insisted. Here's why... My mom wrote her friends obituary a few years ago when he passed. It was eloquent and thoughtful, full of spirit and heartfelt words. I only wished he could have heard what she had to say about him, what everyone had to say. My hope for this party is my mom will hear from people how much she has meant to them, how much she has touched them. That the world is a better place because my mom woke up happy and spent her days with teenagers talking with them about the world and what they can do to change it.

Most people complain about the world and its problems. I am proud to say my mom is one person who talked the talk and walked the walk for 44 years.

1 comment:

Nichole Conner said...

That (like many things you write) brought tears to my eyes! How special. I hope that the party goes off without a hitch and brings your mom that joy and recognition she deserves!

Kudos to your MOM!!!!