Thursday, May 15, 2008

Sometimes

I feel like I'm still in middle school.

Middle school, which was junior high back when I was in school, sucked. I didn't get most of what my peers were talking about .... tv shows, teen idols, etc etc etc. This not getting it sometimes left me feeling sad and frustrated while at other times, smug. Smug because I didn't watch the "crap" shows my peers were watching or listen to the teen beat music my peers listened to. I also didn't get caught up in the who was friends with who (today). No no no, I was different.

Smug is defined as... adjective, smug·ger, smug·gest.
1.
contentedly confident of one's ability, superiority, or correctness; complacent.

So instead of feeling sad/frustrated/less then, I felt superior and confident? While I wouldn't say confident, I did feel somewhat superior. I felt more grown up in that I intereacted more with adults and listened to music that adults listened to and read books that adults read.

So why do I feel like I'm still in middle school? Now instead of feeling smug, I mostly feel confused and left out. I still don't understand why some people are liked and others are not. Most of the time, the people I really like, really connect with, are not viewed as being "in". I continue to not understand most of my peers, especially the parents of my sons classmates.

I am slowly and painfully coming to the realization that I will never fit in with them nor will they ever like me. Most days I'm ok with that. But some days, the unease I feel is palpable.
1.
readily or plainly seen, heard, perceived, etc.; obvious; evident: a palpable lie; palpable absurdity.
2.
capable of being touched or felt; tangible.

I'm working on finding my smug.

No comments: