Monday, January 19, 2009

Responsibility


When you decide to take the plunge, it is always tinged with some reservations. But before you know it, you are head over heels in love.

Then comes the day when a decision needs to be made. And if you've got children (I have three) then you must explain your decision. Several times. And wonder if this is something your children will ever forgive you for.

Penny was a member of our family for 13 years. She was older than our youngest son. Our middle son was just 6 months old when she became a part of our family. My oldest son is devastated and my middle son, let's just say this is very difficult for him. He can't ever remember her not being in his life. My youngest son is not quite sure what to think.

Penny was the runt of her litter and almost didn't make it. Her tail was too long because the man we got her from felt terrible clipping it and didn't quite get it short enough. Penny was a great dog. She loved us fiercely and would bark and growl at everyone new to our door. You were a foe until Penny had decided you were ok. Penny had some puppies and I only know of one still living. My children learned about the miracle of life from her and loved helping her care for her pups. She was a wonderful mother and took great care of her litters.
Making this decision was so hard. My husband & I both knew it was time. But having to tell your children, never ever easy.
I already miss her.


1 comment:

Nichole Conner said...

Oh I'm so so so so sorry. :(