Sunday, January 03, 2010

Getting Off the Camel

Sometimes, I'm blessed to hear something that speaks so deeply to me - makes me think about my life, where I'm going, where I've come from.

Getting off the camel has a new meaning for me. The Wise Men got off their camels to worship and offer gifts to the newborn King. They then rejoiced with exceeding great joy! Great joy!

Knowing what I know about camels, the Wise Men were probably very relieved just to get off the camel. Camels are smelly, very stubborn and are not especially "nice" animals. Yet they've been used as transportation for many many years. They simply get people to where they need to be. Did the Wise Men enjoy the journey? Was their great joy in simply getting off the camel? Now, I believe it was a little of enjoying the journey and getting off the camel and a lot of rejoicing the newborn King.

I can look at things with exceeding great joy when I choose to enjoy the ride and the journey. I have many camels in my life right now. Some of my choosing, some not. Can I get rid of the camels that are not my choice? That's what I'm going to work through.

I don't like to do resolutions for a new year. Instead, I like to think of things I will change to enrich my life. Looking for camels, and getting off them when I can is something I am going to do this year. And those camels that are necessary... I will use them with exceeding great joy!

No comments: